It’s a known fact that losing weight is not only about controlling what you eat and how you exercise. Two exceptionally important contributors to being overweight are lack of good quality sleep and a high incidence of stress, anxiety or depression.
These all disrupt a number of hormones, like insulin and cortisol, which control blood sugar, hunger and appetite. This not only trigger episodes of overeating but also makes it so much harder for your body to shed those unwanted pounds.
Known as the Queen of Calm, lavender is the go-to essential oil if you want reduce feelings of anger, sadness and anxiety as well as enjoy a good night’s sleep. Many studies support lavender as an excellent natural remedy to treat insomnia and reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
It helps uplift mood, improve sleep quality, and facilitates the secretion “feel good” hormones. This reduces inflammation in the body and also helps prevent weight gain brought on by lack of sleep and stress – which are recognized as two of the causes of excess belly fat.
HOW TO USE:
- Diffuse with water diffuser or passive diffuser
- Place 1-2 drops on a cotton ball (or personal inhaler) and breathe in as needed.
- Add two to three drops of essential oil to a warm washcloth and lay with it on your chest.
- Massage your temples with a few drops of the oil to promote relaxation.
- Carry a bottle of essential oil with you and sniff it directly from the bottle throughout the day to invoke a calming effect.
- Apply two to three drops of essential oil to your feet (big toes and/or arches) to help relax.
- Add one to two drops essential oil to a smoothie or drink as tea.