Use Your 5 Senses to Relax Fast!
Using our 5 senses is a great way to reconnect with our bodies. We often find ourselves tangled in the web of our multitude of thoughts. Practicing using our senses can help bring mindfulness to all of life's positive sensory experiences. Simply noticing our perceptions via the five senses brings about awareness that there is a lot more to life than swimming in all the thoughts our minds contain.
Relaxation Using the 5 Senses: VISION
1. Notice the beauty that surrounds you right now. Pick an object in your field of vision and pay attention to the details of color, texture, shadow, shape...
2. Use photos of favorite people, pets, places to decorate your office and home. Look at the photos to feel immediate comfort.
3. Paint the walls of your home with colors you find comforting.
4. Use plants and flowers to bring color into your work and living spaces.
Relaxation Using the 5 Senses: HEARING
1. Stop everything and just listen. What do you hear? What do you hear that is far away? Close to you?
2. Listen to the sounds of nature. Hear any birds? Wind tousling the leaves? Animals at play?
3. Place wind chimes near your window.
4. Listen to fun music.
5. Hum, clap, whistle, etc.
Relaxation Using the 5 Senses: SMELL
1. Wear a spritz of favorite perfume or hand lotion.
2. Smell fresh laundry.
3. Spritz bed linens with lavender spray for restfulness.
4. Breathe in the aroma of coffee or tea.
5. Don't forget to smell the roses, of course!
6. Burn a scented candle.
7. Use scented bath salts.
8. Enjoy the smell of freshly cut oranges, lemons, or limes for a quick pick-me-up!
Relaxation Using the 5 Senses: TASTE
1. Really be mindful of the food and beverages you put in your mouth. Texture, smell, taste, visual appeal, and pleasant memories all work together to make for a great dining experience.
2. Tempt your palate with a variety of foods - some familiar, some not. Experiment!
3. Sip tea to really mellow out.
4. Try cooking with exotic spices.
5. Taste slowly! Be aware of how great your food tastes.
Relaxation Using the 5 Senses: TOUCH
1. Enjoy a massage, either from yourself or someone else.
2. Notice the texture of your clothing.
3. Wrap yourself up in a soft, warm blanket.
4. Soak in a hot bath.
5. Feel the texture of different objects, such as shells, feathers, a mug with tea, your hair, etc.
6. Pet a cat or dog.
Relaxation Using the Your Senses
Although you may be focusing on one sense at a time, usually many senses are being used simultaneously to create the whole experience. The point is that you are more aware of your perceptions. You become more aware of what you are spending your efforts paying attention to! Focus on becoming aware of positive elements. Your senses will then guide you more readily toward the positive and help you relax.
Here's a free hypnosis session I recorded sure to invigorate your senses! Enjoy:)