people suffering from anxiety want natural ways to reduce stress. They don’t
want to use pharmaceutical drugs for treatment due to their considerable side
Our lives are so busy, sometimes it can feel hard to breathe. We spend our days running around multi-tasking, doing endless errands, cooking and cleaning, working and taking care of our families and the household.
Doing all the things all the time without a break in sight can take a toll on both your mental well-being. You may find yourself more emotional, irritable, or depressed and you may struggle to stay focused.
Health-wise, stress can trigger chemical reactions in your body and constant stress can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. This can ultimately lead to illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes.
Learning how to manage stress can help alleviate symptoms and prevent illness.
5 Ways to Reduce Stress FAST! Practice Gratitude
There are so many good things we can be grateful for, but when our lives feel chaotic, it becomes hard to see them. Learning to make gratitude a practice rather than a response can help relieve daily stress.
Every morning think about 1 thing you find remarkable or beautiful such as the bright blue sky or a stunning sunrise. During the day pick 1 way to express gratitude such as smiling at someone or letting someone get in front of you in line. At the end of the day choose 1 thing you are thankful for such as a kiss from your partner or the 5 minutes you spent connecting with your child.
5 Ways to Reduce Stress FAST! Move IT!
Physical activity can increase the production of endorphins which are your brain's feel-good chemicals. Try a yoga session. It's the perfect way to de-stress and work out the same time.
exercises, helping you release good endorphins to relieve stress.
training with weights or body weight.
A 20- or 30-minute walk around the block can help you get your emotions in
an exercise that is also a relaxation technique. It gives you the coping skills
you need to combat stress.
chi, which is a form of low-impact, weight-bearing, and aerobic exercise that
began as a martial art.
- Deep breathing or breathing exercises. With this method you consciously pay attention to your breathing. Begin by slowing your breathing and focusing on taking regular, deep breaths. Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress. When you breathe deeply, you signal your brain to become calm and relax.
Try this morning breathing technique. Start in a standing position and bend forward at the waist, letting your arms dangle freely.
Inhale slowly and deeply as you return to standing, rolling up one vertebra at a time. Breathe all the air out. Repeat a total of 5 times. Check out Dr. Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique. The important part is the longer exhale.
When you enhale for longer than you inhale, you turn on the brain's parasympathetic nervous system, the system that tells us to CHILL OUT!
imagery method. With this method, you focus on pleasant images in place of the
stressful or negative feelings.
relaxation or Jacobson’s progressive relaxation method. Here you focus on tightening
and relaxing each muscle group.
which is a process where you use essential oils to promote relaxation.
- Hypnosis. Harness the power of your mind to inculcate positive messages. (Goodness knows we get enough negative messages throughout the day!)
- Meditation, which is a technique where the mind stops the focusing on stress and instead focuses inward towards calmness.
5 Ways to Reduce Stress FAST! Find daily pleasures
Take a break every now and then. Spend time alone when you need to. Find other ways that help you diminish stress.
You can fight stress in natural ways without the use of pharmaceutical remedies that may have harmful or unwanted side effects.
- Similar to exercise, laughter bumps up the release of endorphins in your body and promotes a general sense of well-being. It also decreases stress hormones and strengthens your immunity. If you're feeling stressed, take a couple of minutes to look up a joke to share with friend. Watching comic movies. Laughter is a tremendous stress
to your favorite music. Classical music has been shown to soothe emotions. Dance,
sing and have fun.
Give your time helping others. Just don’t fill your calendar to overflowing.
a day at the spa. Give yourself permission to get a spa treatment to help relax
Read a good book. Not a book you need to read but one
that is purely for enjoyment.
yourself with art. Take up a new hobby such as painting, ceramics or crafts.
Find hobbies you enjoy and that keep your hands and mind busy.
Take up gardening. Plant flowers or vegetables.
Tending plants can be a peaceful way to put your mind at ease.
a soothing bath. Light candles. Add a calming bath beads like lavender or
chamomile. Put on an eye mask and just relax.
the sunset or sunrise.
like a kid or play with your kids. Let go. Run. Giggle. Just be silly.
“no.” You don’t have to do everything for everyone all the time. Your family
can take care of themselves occasionally.
- Be around friends (the right friends). Call or spend time with them when you feel stress overwhelming you.
- Get out of the house if the stress is there. Go to a movie or a new restaurant.
- Spend time doing things you enjoy like taking a walk in nature or visiting a museum.
More Ways to Reduce Stress...
You are what you feed yourself. I'm not just talking about your body. You are what you feed your mind, as well. You're a whole package!
I encourage you to take a look in the Self-Help Shop for more ingredients to boost your body and your mind.